2018 will be the year in which OTT players including Amazon and Facebook turn sports events into the next content battleground by bidding for (and winning) key packages in major rights auctions, including those for football’s English Premier League.
That’s according to Juniper Research, which has drawn up its list of predictions for the top technology trends 2018.
Juniper predicts that Amazon is likely to be the biggest winner. Not only would it gain revenues from new Amazon Prime customers joining mainly for the football, but additionally revenues derived from retail sales by those customers via the Prime channel. This significantly reduces the number of new customers it would require to cover the costs of a rights package, Juniper says.
Meanwhile, Juniper believes that 2018 will be the year for social payments with key launches from Apple and Facebook expected to drive growth in the space.
Here are Juniper’s top ten tech predictions for 2018.
- Amazon and Facebook lead OTT bids for major sporting rights
- Apple, Facebook, Google bring social payments to the masses
- AI and blockchain to power numerous FinTech and insurance solutions
- Edge computing to fast-track the IoT
- Facial recognition applications surge
- The rise of robo-advisors and app-based investments
- Machine learning coming to verify your identity
- Chinese cards and wallets achieve scale in western markets
- Smart toys educating the masses
- Wireless charging market moves up a gear