Alibaba Cloud announced at its Computing Conference Shenzhen Summit that it has upgraded its machine learning platform PAI.
Built on large-scale, high-performance and distributed computing, PAI 2.0 promises to help customers deploy large-scale data mining and modeling. Alibaba Cloud said PAI 2.0’s advanced and diversified artificial intelligence algorithms are aimed at empowering innovations in the life science and manufacturing sectors.
“In the past year, Alibaba Cloud has implemented a number of real-life AI applications for customers across industries. As China’s first machine learning platform, PAI is born to make our AI program, an effective tool for helping people and businesses to resolve practical issues,” said Dr. Jingren Zhou, Chief Scientist of Alibaba Cloud. “We are also seeing our data intelligence capability being leveraged to assist customers in creating better healthcare services and endorsing smart manufacturing in China.”
Key features of PAI 2.0 include:
- Diversified and innovative algorithms: PAI has more than 100 sets of algorithms covering data preprocessing, neural network, regression, classification, predictions, evaluations, statistical analysis, feature engineering and deep-learning architecture.
- Deep-learning architecture: The entire computing architecture is optimized for different deep learning frameworks. It also supports a one-click function to deploy API, solving the challenge of modeling and service integration.
- Large-scale computing power: Powered by Apsara, Alibaba Cloud’s large-scale computing engine, PAI provides ultra-large-scale distributed computing capabilities that allow organizations to handle petabyte-level computing tasks daily.
- User-friendly interface: PAI’s data visualization capabilities allow developers to quickly include components into workflows by easy drag and drop features, greatly enhancing the efficiency of model building and debugging.
Through the platform’s flexible support, organizations can easily build solutions for a variety of application scenarios, such as tumor diagnosis and data-driven production systems.
ET Medical Brain: AI for healthcare challenges
Alibaba Cloud also announced that it has developed something called “ET Medical Brain”, a suite of AI solutions built on its cloud computing infrastructure to drive advancements in healthcare sector.
By processing a wealth of medical knowledge and experience, ET Medical Brain aims to ease the workload of medical personnel by taking roles of patients’ virtual assistants, and participating in medical imaging, drug development, hospital management and wearable healthcare devices.
Medicine as a knowledge-driven discipline requires huge quantities of data to be processed from different sources. AI allows computers to play a significant role in assisting decision-making in the context of healthcare, freeing medical personnel from complex repetitive tasks to focus on delivering quality care to patients.
ET Industrial Brain: smart manufacturing
Alibaba Cloud’s ET Industrial Brain, meanwhile, is the company’s suite of AI solutions in the field of industrial production. ET Industrial Brain aims to help companies to centralize data management of manufacturing process with Alibaba Cloud’s expertise in computing and data analytics. Features include:
- Malfunction prediction: ET Industrial Brain helps manufacturers to plan ahead for maintenance in order to prevent large-scale mechanical failures and uncertainty caused by the loss from downtime and to improve equipment utilization and the efficiency of spare parts stocks.
- Real-time monitoring: ET Industrial Brain monitors the entire 360-degree production process, which can enhance overall product yields with timely interventions.
- Energy saving: Data analytics applied to production data can help to optimize energy consumption, reducing costs and carbon emissions.
- Craftsmanship suggestion: AI solutions make recommendations to workers to fix vulnerabilities in the manufacturing process, in order to allow companies to be more productive.