TOKYO (Reuters) -Japan’s Rakuten Mobile Inc said on Sunday that its service for users on Rakuten UN-LIMIT VII plans had been restored after a system failure caused difficulties making calls and sending data for over two hours.
The mobile carrier, a wholly owned subsidiary of Rakuten Group Inc, did not say how many users were affected by the issue, which lasted about 2-1/2 hours after starting shortly before 11:00 a.m. local time.
It said in a statement that service was restored at around 1:26 p.m. on Sunday (0426 GMT Sunday).
Japan’s internal affairs ministry in August issued rare administrative guidance to rival wireless carrier KDDI Corp after tens of millions of users were affected by network troubles in early July.
In May, Rakuten Mobile reported that the total number of subscriptions for the MNO and MVNO services surpassed 5.68 million as of the end of Q1 2022 as mobile segment revenues surged 44% year-on-year to JPY80.4 billion ($622 million).
At that time, Rakuten Mobile CTO Tareq Amin confirmed that the operator aims to accelerate 5G deployments across Japan, having recently hit the target of covering 97% of the population with its 4G LTE network by end-March 2022.
Rakuten Mobile had deployed more than 44,000 4G base stations by April, he said, while indoor coverage has also expanded, as the number of compact antennas for indoor use nationwide reached 40,000 units as of 31 March 2022.
(Reporting by Daniel Leussink; Editing by Edmund Klamann & Simon Cameron-Moore)