Barracuda today released key findings from a report it commissioned titled Secure SD-WAN: The Launch Pad into the Cloud. The research surveyed global IT decision-makers in Singapore and across the globe to capture their attitudes and opinions about SD- WAN adoption, along with data about acquisition preferences, variations by industry, and a variety of related issues.
The survey, conducted by independent market researcher Vanson Bourne, includes responses from 750 executives, individual contributors, and team managers with responsibility for or knowledge of their organisation’s cloud infrastructure. They came from organisations of all sizes and across a broad range of sectors, in EMEA, APAC and the US.
Overall, the study indicates that while adoption rates for public cloud continue to grow, security is still the number one roadblock to public cloud adoption in Singapore, with 60% of respondents in the market stating it was the main factor preventing their organisation from growing its use of public cloud. Other factors included cost (42%), and difficulty adhering the regulation and compliance (32%).
This is understandable considering the volume and variety of threats organisations face today. Other highlights from the report include:
- Secure SD-WAN fully integrated into public cloud is the solution of choice.
- 22% of Singapore respondents have already deployed SD-WAN, with another 46% either in the process of deploying or expecting to deploy within the next 12 months.
- SD-WAN is being used by 70% of organisations in Singapore who have added security to their public cloud.
- SD-WAN deployments vary greatly by industry.
- Worldwide, the financial services industry has the most SD-WAN adoption, with 35% of respondents saying it is already in use. Another 41% are in the process of deploying SD-WAN or expect to do so in the next 12 months.
- 100% of Singapore’s financial services firms said they had already deployed or expected to deploy SD-WAN in the next 12 months, followed by manufacturing and production (75%), and construction and property (75%). The lowest rate of adoption was Singapore’s public sector (33%) and retail, distribution and transport (0%).
- Results showed that globally, the public sector has the lowest amount of SD-WAN deployment. Only 7% currently have SD-WAN deployed, and another 36% are in the process of deploying SD-WAN or expect to do so in the next 12 months.
- 67% of Singapore organisations who have deployed SD-WAN, cited network flexibility and agility, improved overall connectivity, and reduced overall cost as the main benefits.
- Acquiring SD-WAN via a cloud provider is the overwhelming preference.
- 43% of Singapore respondents want to acquire an SD-WAN solution through a cloud provider.
- In comparison, 23% prefer to get SD-WAN from an independent vendor, while 27% would opt for a telecommunications partner, and 7% would choose a value-added reseller.
- Microsoft Azure is the preferred public-cloud platform.
- 54% of Singapore respondents preferred Microsoft Azure, over both Amazon AWS (30%) and Google GCP (12%).
- Responses indicate that Azure is perceived to be more secure and more user friendly than AWS and GCP.
Related article: How to enhance SD-WAN efficiency with DNS-based application routing